Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Campers

This post makes 200 for Little Hokies. That's a lot of sharing and a lot of baby stories. But, in all our sharing, there has never been a trip like this week's.
This week, we went camping! We went into the woods and hiked (over three miles! I'm way tougher than I look!) and swam in swimming holes and splashed and ate fruit right off the plants and watched waterfalls and slept OUTSIDE! In a TENT!
Ok. So you know we have some ground to cover. On Saturday, we got up super early. Before the birds and the dogs, and we got into the car and drove west. We drove and drove to a place called Graveyard Fields that has all sorts of outside stuff like waterfalls and blueberries and blackberries and rocks!

We could have taken a quick hike to the Lower Falls and splashed, but we got distracted by all the fruit, and ended up going on up to the Upper Falls.

Jessa loves blueberries! And besides that, the blackberries were the best I have ever had. I picked some last year here in Raleigh, and they did not taste very good. I think they like living in the mountains best.
Anyway, after we moved on from the free fruit, we hiked about a mile and a half up, up, up. I ran whenever it was safe and sometimes when it wasn't (which hurt a little). Mom was very impressed and so now I think I might be an extra special hiker.
Jess got carried in a backpack or on a hip, which she liked. Mina got carried around a little too, especially on the big up hills. It was hard work, but the important thing is we all got there.
And look. What I think is that Raleigh needs some mountains.



When we were just about ready to head back down, we felt the first drizzle. Well, that drizzle just kept on coming until we were all cold and wet. We even put on our jackets to keep warm.

That rain just kept on after we got back to the car and so we started to wonder if we were going to be able to set up our tent. Then Mommy said: Well, Masons, nothing says warm and comfy like a hot tub. Let's go see Miss Kirby. Miss Kirby is Mommy's friend that lives near there. Good thing for us Miss Kirby likes us kids! We got all warmed up and then nice and dry and then Miss Kirby helped us get our dogs ready and we ate dinner at her house. I had already dropped the camera by then, so we didn't get a picture of our fun there-- but trust us: we had fun!
Then, it wasn't raining and it was still light so we went to the campsite and Daddy put together his very first tent. Mommy said he likes to put things together, but he didn't look like he liked it so much to me. But he got it figured out and it was big and open and wonderful.


All Jessa wants is her App State chair. App State is where Mommy went after regular college to get some extra college. Jessa loves this chair and climbs all over it all the time. Little Mountaineer, that one. (Sorry Dad. I think little bit is going in-state.)
And then we went to sleep and so it rained some more, but we stayed dry in our tent that Daddy put together for us. We love Daddy.
The next morning, we saw some blue up above and we were so happy that we high-tailed it on over to the campground's lake and went for a swim. We were the only ones there. I think everyone else went home on account of the rain on Saturday. Not us!

Here we are after a shower and lunch. Happy campers. Can't wait until next time!


No comments: